The Barnard Fire Department was incorporated on April 15, 1927 by a group of actors,
known as the Harmony Dramatic Club, who realized that a small area
of Greece, NY was not receiving fire protection services. Unfortunately neighboring
departments, Greece Ridge (Ridge Road) and North Greece, were unable to
service this area due to a state regulation that dictated that a fire district's
boundaries could not extend beyond 5 miles from the station.
With the majority of the area being farmland, boundaries were challenging
to establish, which can be realized even more today as a small
section of Greece is serviced by 3 departments.
The original station was erected in 1928 and served as a public safety facility
housing both fire and police under one roof. As both departments grew and
the need for services expanded, the police department moving into a new
location and the existing firehouse was expanded to house additional
apparatus and offices. The first fire alarm sounded on February 4, 1928 with Errol McBride serving as the department's first fire chief. Later that year, the Department
purchased it's first new fire engine - a 1928 American LaFrance.
When people hear Barnard, many associate it with the Fireman's Carnival
which began in 1928 and culminated in 2016. The carnival was by far the biggest
fundraiser of the year and has paved the way for other events, including the
popular Bands at Barnard summer concert series.
Originally serving as an all-volunteer force providing fire and ambulance services,
the department has evolved into a combination career/volunteer organization
responding to more than 3000 calls annually, while also providing mutual aid and
fill-in services to Ridge Road, North Greece, Rochester and other neighboring districts..